The Crossfield Fire Department is comprised of 30 dedicated well-trained firefighters from around the community who respond to an average 300 calls for service each year.
Our firefighters continually participate in training to ensure they can provide the best response possible with the upmost professionalism. The Crossfield Fire Department provides response within the Town of Crossfield as well as coverage to surrounding areas with mutual-aid agreements.
Interested in joining the team?
Our fire department strives to hire the most suitable firefighters. We are looking for highly talented and dedicated individuals who will carry forward a strong tradition. By the very nature of this job, firefighters impact citizens during their most trying and vulnerable moments. The public trusts that fire fighters have at their core are honor, character and high moral standards. We have a responsibility to the citizens. We seek to recruit those individuals who pursue excellence, community service, and lifelong learning.
Firefighting is a very high risk occupation. The working environment during emergencies can be hostile and unpredictable at times. The workplace for emergency operations is totally variable, depending upon the nature of the emergency. The work is often strenuous and stressful. It is also very rewarding!
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Protecting life, environment, and property,
- Controlling and extinguishing different types of fires;
- Positioning and climbing ladders;
- Assisting EMS with patient care;
- Operating and maintaining specialized fire apparatus;
- Operating and maintaining a variety of hydraulic, pneumatic and power tools;
- Participating in weekly training sessions, maintaining at least 75% attendance
- Participating in courses deemed necessary by the fire department as required;
- Other duties as required by the Fire Chief or their designate.
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Eligible for employment in Canada
- Possess valid Class 5 Drivers License
- Physically and medically fit
- Clean Driver’s Abstract and Criminal Records Check
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C
If you feel that you have what it takes to work within our team, please find the attached application which we invite you to fill out. Once you have filled out the application, please sign it and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org for further processing. The fire department will reach out to you if you have been chosen to proceed with the rest of the recruitment process.
Fire Bans may be announced throughout the year - please check the Town of Crossfield news and notices for up-to-date information. Alerts are also sent out via the Voyent Alert app, free to download from the App Store or Google Play.
- A Level 1 advisory means camp fires and backyard firepits are allowed and permits can be issued.
- A Level 2 advisory means propane and backyard fires are allowed, however, no new permits will be issued.
- Under a Level 3 ban, all fires are prohibited and no permits will be issued.
- Christmas Hamper Program
The Crossfield Fire Department along with local businesses assists with the annual Christmas Hamper Program including stuff the cruiser initiative in conjunction with the RCMP.
The Christmas Hamper Program starts taking applications in November with hamper delivery in middle of December.
Crossfield Fire Department
1601 Railway Street
PO Box 500 Crossfield, Alberta T0M 0S0
Fire Chief: Bill Messner
E-mail (NON-Emergency): email@example.com