Crossfield Farmers' Market a Growing Success

Katie Arbour and Tyler Mount, from Mount Bison & Cattle Company, show off some of their products.

Story by Allison Chorney
Photos by Britton Ledingham

For more than 45 years, the Crossfield Farmers’ Market has provided locals with fresh produce and yummy treats.

“The Farmers’ Market is a fantastic community hub,” said Market Manager Cheryl Shea. “Folks can come down and shop, dine and visit with their neighbours.”

As an Alberta Approved Farmers’ Market, 80 per cent of vendors at the Crossfield Farmers’ Market must be Albertans, providing products that are made, baked or grown in the province. The remaining 20 per cent may sell products that complement the market mix. 

“All markets are not the same, and all markets are not farmers’ markets,” Shea said, adding the variety of businesses and vendors at Crossfield’s market provides shoppers with options they may not see together elsewhere. 

Though the market is now a popular destination for shoppers near and far, that wasn’t always the case. 

“I had experienced the market when I first moved to the area. I knew the potential of [it] and the strong community supporting it, which seemed to maybe be at a disconnect,” said Shea, the recipient of the 2020 Alberta Farmers’ Market Association’s Outstanding Manager of the Year Award. “My goal was to once again see a market in Crossfield that would be of benefit to all residents and vendors.”

With this in mind, Shea set about bringing the market back to what it once was. Weekend event-based markets were introduced, which drew local and out-of-town shoppers and allowed the market to host more vendors. 

As word of these events spread, so too did the market’s popularity, transforming it into a must-visit stop and drawing shoppers from the nearby communities of Calgary and Airdrie. Shea said the market is also a popular destination for shoppers from Red Deer, Drumheller, Canmore, Sundre and even High River.

While the COVID-19 pandemic forced the rescheduling of the 2020 Spring Market, she said the Crossfield Farmers’ Market was determined to open for the season. Shea said the “passion, dedication and effort from so many” allowed the market to open as scheduled on June 4, 2020 – following guidelines outlined by the province – and it had a tremendous year.

“Last year Crossfield folks became more involved shopping at the Farmers’ Market and supporting the vendors,” she said, adding the market and its visitors contributed to 216 businesses in 2020. “Supporting and shopping local really meant something, and it was fantastic to see Crossfield and area get behind these vendors and build relationships.”

Despite it taking place during a pandemic, the 2020 Christmas Market was a huge success and highlight from last year. Held Nov. 7, 2020 at three venues – the Crossfield Community Centre, Crossfield Baptist Church and Collicutt Siding Golf Club – the event was larger than ever and included a visit from Santa and his reindeer, as well as the Grinch and his dog Max. 

“I loved the 2020 Christmas market so much [and] I expect it to be very similar this year,” Shea said, adding this year’s event will expand to two days, taking place from 4 to 8 p.m. Nov. 5 and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 6.

She said the multiple venues prevented overcrowding while the controlled directional flow of market-goers kept attendees safe and ensured shoppers went by each booth, benefitting all 166 vendors that participated.

The Crossfield Farmers’ Market runs from 3:30 to 7 p.m. each Thursday from June 3 to Sept. 23. Special markets for the season include the Oct. 2 Fall Market and the Christmas Market on Nov. 6. 

For more information, visit the Crossfield Farmers' Market Facebook page or email